Our Five Favorite Power Tool Brands for 2020
When it comes to power and hand tools, you certainly have a wide selection to choose from, which means that regardless of your preferences and tastes when it comes to tools, you can easily find something you’ll love working with if you know where to get started. Just like other products, power tools are made by a variety of different companies, and each brand has its own pros and cons.
The good news is, discovering the top power tool brands for both home and professional use is easy once you do a few comparisons, because even though most brands offer high-quality tools and accessories, different users will prefer different brands. Because of this, it is a smart move to become familiar with each brand’s advantages and disadvantages, since this allows you to choose for yourself the ones that best suit your needs.
Below are the top five tool lines, with detailed information that will allow you to select the one that’s right for you in the end.
Black & Decker is a household name, and there is little wonder why. They have been around since 1910 and offer a wide selection of tools, vacuum cleaners, and many other products. They are especially known for their tools, which include screwdrivers, sanders, circular saws, wrenches, hand saws, and levels, to name a few. Indeed, this is one company that can be relied on whether you need a hammer drill or an air compressor, especially if you want something extra-sturdy.
Today, this company sells products in most parts of the world, including North and South America, Asia, and Europe. They offer tools that are exceptional in both quality and price, so regardless of the tools you need or even your budget, you can easily find what you’re looking for when you’re shopping for Black & Decker products.
A few of the more popular tools they sell include:
- 20V MAX cordless chainsaw: with a sturdy 10-inch blade and a long battery life, this chainsaw is lightweight yet powerful, and it is easy to control and maneuver, as well as comfortable thanks to the wrap-around bale handle. The clear window lets you gauge the oil level easily, and the tensioning system is made to make adjustments both easy and fast. Rechargeable battery is a huge upgrade to gas powered chainsaws that produce fumes and foul smells.
- Cordless drill combo kit: complete with both the cordless drill and accessories such as sander, oscillating tool, jigsaw, and router, these six tools are all you need to complete many of your household projects, and it even comes with its own handy carrying case.
- Lithium impact driver: even though this tool is lightweight and easy to use, don’t let that fool you into thinking it isn’t powerful. It delivers a full 1375 in-lbs. of maximum torque, and it comes with a PH #2 screwdriving bit, so it is ready to go whenever you are.
The Craftsman brand has been around since 1927, and its reputation is what has kept it at the top of any list of the best power tool manufacturing companies since then. Part of the reason for its popularity is that it produces very high-quality tools that are affordable to most people, and its products include everything from drills to skill saws and screwdrivers to hammers, and so much more.
One of the things that makes this company so unique is that they offer a 25-year warranty on all of their products. During that 25-year span, you can return the tool if it breaks even if you don’t have a receipt, and they will replace it for you for free. That says a lot about the confidence they have in their products, which include the following best-sellers:
- 57-piece mechanics’ tool kit: listed for under $45, this kit includes long-nose pliers, fiberglass hammer, screwdrivers with special handles for extra comfort, and an easy-to-read measuring tape, all of which make that next project easier on you both physically and economically.
- V20 cordless drill combo set: complete with two drills, it comes with a convenient carrying bag and the drills themselves have LED work lights for extra visibility, a quick-release chuck feature, and motors that offer 280 UWO of power.
- V20 cordless reciprocating saw: this saw offers a tool-free blade release that allows you to change the blades with little effort, a specially contoured handle for extra comfort, and a compact size that makes cutting in small spaces easy to do.
When it comes to power tool brands, Hitachi is definitely at the top of the list. Although their main business is woodworking and other types of machines, their tool division should not be overlooked. Founded in Japan in 1910, their products include drills, saws, and metalworking and concrete tools, to name a few. You’ll also see the Hitachi name on power plants and electronics products, as well as masonry tools and more.
Some of the most well-known Hitachi products include the following:
- 4-piece combo set: this set is great for people who are just starting out and need a basic set of tools. The set comes complete with a lithium ion battery set, hammer drill, impact driver, flashlight, and reciprocating saw. It also comes with a quick charger, PH #2 screwdriver bit, and a convenient carrying bag.
- Single bevel compound miter saw: with a 0-52ᵒ miter angle range to the left and right, and a 0-45ᵒ bevel range to the left, this tool is lightweight and easy to maneuver, and it even has a dust-collecting attachment to minimize airborne particles as you work. Its 15-amp motor provides a lot of power to each project, and it includes a vise assembly and a Hex bar wrench, among other things.
- Cordless mini-grinder: a list of cordless power tools is never complete without a grinder, and this one offers a lightweight design for easy maneuverability, the ability to control the speed from 5,000 to 35,000 RPM, and a long battery life thanks to its 1.5-Ah battery.
The best power tool brand is always one that has tools that last regardless of what you put them through, and this is what Stanley Tools is known for. From Lowes to Home Depot and many others, this brand is found at all of the home-improvement stores with excellent reputations, and there is little wonder why this is so.
Founded in the United States in 1843, this company has been making numerous tools for the DIY enthusiast and the professional for over a century, and they offer a wide range of both tools and products needed to organize those tools, including utility carts and carrying cases. From nail guns to tape measures and oscillating tools to planes, you can use their tools whether you’re an amateur or a professional builder, and some of their most popular tools include the following:
- #7 Jointer plane: made out of chrome carbon steel and adjustable for more maneuverability, this plane comes with a machined frog and cutting seater that reduces chatter, as well as the ability to both remove stock and accurately true up long edges or level wide boards. It is truly a multipurpose and invaluable tool for your collection.
- Saw horse set with folding metal legs: this set comes with two sawhorses and even has side latches in case you need to attach the two pieces together. Lightweight, but sturdy, each saw horse is 40” x 5” x 30” and its excellent design makes it super-easy to use and even easier to store away when it’s not needed.
- 5-piece chisel and strike cap set: made of high-carbon steel and available in five different sizes for your convenience, these pieces are both pre-sharpened and blade-ready, which means you can immediately start working with them as soon as you get them out of the box.
Founded in 1926 and still based in Germany, the Stihl brand is a very reputable one, so if you’re looking for the best cordless power tool brand on the market, this is definitely considered one of the best. They not only make tools, but also a lot of outdoor power equipment such as blowers, chain saws, hedge trimmers, and even lawnmowers, to name a few.
Whether you’re taking care of your yard or you’re a contractor working on a new home, you can use Stihl tools for a variety of jobs. Some of the most popular products made by the company include:
- Sharpener for chainsaws: this is a 2-in-1 sharpener that costs under $40 and is used to sharpen chainsaws like the pros. In fact, even beginners can be using this tool and getting expert results in no time, thanks to its ease of use and the special design that allows for great maneuverability every time.
- Digital wood moisture meter: anytime you need to check the moisture level in your logs or firewood, this is the tool you want. It is battery-operated and digital for both ease of use and easy readability. You can turn it on and off with the push of a button, and the LCD display makes for easy reading regardless of the weather conditions or where you are at the time.